The State of California has projected the following growth rates for San Diego County:
• Total employment is expected to increase by an average rate of 1.9 percent per year over the next five years.
• Average salaries in San Diego are well above the California state average, and will remain so over the foreseeable future. Real average salaries are expected to rise by an average of 1.1 percent per year.
• The fastest rates of growth will be observed in information and professional and business services. These sectors will increase by annual average rates of 3.8 percent and 2.9 percent, respectively.
• Population growth is expected to accelerate, reaching 1.2 percent by 2017. Annual growth is expected to average 1.1 percent from 2014 to 2018.
• From 2014 to 2018, an average of 9,600 net migrants will enter the San Diego county each year. This represents a dramatic increase over the previous five years, in which total net migration was virtually flat.
• Real per capita income in San Diego is expected to increase by an annual compound rate of 2.4 percent.
• Total taxable sales are expected to increase by an average of 2.5 percent.
• Industrial production is expected average of 3.8 percent per year from 2014 to 2018.
Source: California Department of Transportation